Friday, February 11, 2011

The Little Balloon


Freed from its shackle
The Little Balloon Rose Up
Till the roof where it got stuck
A little bang here A little bang there
the little Balloon did try
To escape the roof it had struck
Little while later the roof did part………
Off rose the Balloon
High Up!
(How did the roof part?
A thought not thought)

With Pride it Flew
The merrier it grew
The higher it flew
The shackles, the roof
The weaker the memory of these that grew
The stronger the turmoil within it grew
The higher it flew
The bigger it grew
Stretched beyond itself
It prayed for respite
Not one in sight
It broke into pieces – a hundred at a glance

Some say it was the helium
Some say it was the life

9 comments:

  1. Very good to visualise. I read it thrice. Now, for some reason, I imagined a red balloon. It would interest me to know what colour other readers, or the poet, might've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Igor,
    I had a more colourfull balloon in mind....majorly white with colours of the rainbow sprinkled all over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,
    It is difficult to see small balloons with so many colours these days, though an image search on Google shows some (very large) colourful balloons. Let us see if some other reader like me replies. That'll show if an writer's/poet's perspective differs from the readers'. It's nice to imagine what an writer has in mind and how much of it reaches the reader. In poems, in stories, in paintings, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.
    Gosh, I'm pretty sure I didn't type even one 'an', and to see two of them up there is shocking. And next,to suddenly see a 'c'missing in the blog url makes me think if I'm hallucinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats because dialecticmind was already taken!I had to make do with dialeticmind:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It broke into pieces – a hundred at a glance" .. Nice one!!
    Just like your previous poem, this poem too allows me to think in more than one way ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nuthan and Arunachalam thanks! I am glad you all liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too imagined a white balloon with those tiny colourful spots on it! :)
    Liked the poem, especially the last verse.

    ReplyDelete